Receiving a diagnosis of infertility can be a painful time for couples and the stress of fertility treatment can test even the strongest bonds… And IVF? It’s a rough process to go through as a couple. The hormones, the not knowing, the whole experience can make you feel totally insane. But don’t worry, you’re not alone. Millions of other individuals are going through the same thing. And, luckily, you have the support of Sergio Oehninger, MD, PhD of Sher Fertility Institute New York who will be here for you every step of the way. You also have the support of your partner, and should nurture that relationship, even when you aren’t in the mood. Here, Sergio Oehninger, MD, PhD of Sher Fertility Institute New York gives ideas on how you get started.
- Talk about your feelings. Communication is important and trying to understand one’s feelings while going through treatment may be hard to decipher, unless expressed verbally. If you’re having a communication disconnect, try tabling the conversation and switching to something lighter – maybe try playing a game of charades!
- Listen: As important as it is to communicate effectively, it is equally important to be a good listener. Don’t be scrolling through your phone when your partner is venting to you. Keeping the communication lines open will help you and your partner feel heard, and keep your bond strong.
- Be a team. This point is actually really important. Yes, you are so strong and you don’t need anyone to be there with you during your 15th transvaginal ultrasound… but it sure would be nice to have a hand to hold! Attending specialist appointments together can help strengthen your relationship and help you feel like your partner is there with you, every step of the way.
- Make date night a priority. We get it, money is tight and you can’t always afford the date nights you once used to have… There is some fun in that though! Explore new date night ideas, turn your living room into a home theater, make your own popcorn and screen the latest Netflix thriller… Table the fertility talk and just have fun together. It’s a great way to fall in love all over again.
- Remember what you have in common. This is a simple example, but do you both love pizza? Pick up ingredients and make it together. Taking the time to do things together, outside of all things fertility, can help you destress and just have a laugh. Another option is to have a #TBT themed night and go back to where you had your first date. Try and recreate memorable moments of the good times you have shared together.
- Separate intercourse from sex. Even though you’re stressed about your injections, how you’re going to pay for this all, timing intercourse, if treatments will work… You can still be intimate together. Try something new and out of the ordinary. Maybe end the day with a night cap …with a happy ending for all.
- Seek professional help. If you’re #TTC you can use all the help you can get. We’re here for you! Sher Fertility Institute New York has counselors who can help you and your partner stay strong. Call us at (646) 792-7476 or DM us on Facebook.
Contact Sher Fertility Institute New York at 646-792-7476 or click here to schedule an appointment with one of our fertility doctors. Our Patient Care Specialists will contact you within the next 24 hours.